Skip to main content

Reflection on the activity of Creating a Table

These days I am attending the classes of Maths Strands , that mainly focus on the philosophy and the conceptual learning of maths that can integrate with the real life.’

In the discussion about the activities our mentor asked us about to engage a child in the CREATION OF TABLE instead of forcing him to LEARN THE TABLE.

Majority of mothers like me ….. :) focusing on the rote learning of tables and ask their children forcefully to memorize all the tables , well to learn the tables help us a lot but to learn or make children learn without knowing the logic or the pattern of the table is quite useless.

Few months before I have placed table charts in my room and asked my 6 year old, to learn the tables one by one , as the tables had not been introduced in his class so being an efficient mother ( ironically saying :) ) I was in the way to make my child able to know and memorize all the tables before the time that it may come in his syllabus .

Now I changed my strategy and keep my child engaging to recognize and generate different patterns , I give him a series of different shapes, and ask him to make any pattern for me to continue. We observe a lot of different patterns that are in the air around us . And Finally I ask him to to create a table of 2, First think about it how the next number comes after every number and then try to make  table of your own.

Just with in two days of focusing on different number patterns my 6 year old son has now able to make a table of any number . What a sense of achievement he got ... “ I can create a table ! ” :)

This significant strategy overcome my past six months efforts to make him able to learn tables.
and I am sure that after some time he will In-sha-Allah learn the tables by heart but not forcefully but by his own interest .

And the most important fact that  I observe during this activity that “not only Maths is all about PATTERNS but the Life is all about Pattern. And the best Pattern of life is given to us by our beloved Prophet (PBUH) may Allah SWT help us to follow and to guide our children to follow the right pattern   (ameen) .

Comments

  1. Asak,a gud idea! But how does he 'make' the table? By adding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes,by adding and he figured it out all by himself :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snapshots of Book Reviews

Here are some samples of Book Reviews written by kids of 4 to 9 years, as a result of Book Sharing Activity :) , related to the last post "کتاب دوستی" 1: Age : 4 Years 2: Age : 8 years 3: Age : 8 years 4: Age : 6 years 5: Age : 6 years

Reading Activities for Children at home or in school

About the Post: During my professional Teaching Training course we are asked to conduct different activities of Pre-reading / reading and Pre-writing / writing to children , as I was doing this course for my children so it was the right time to implement all my learning and techniques on my child named Saadi who is 5 years old . We have to answer "What" , "Why" and "How" about the specific activity that we are going to conduct and also mention the level or age group of child that can do this activity with ease and in the last we have to share our reflections.  I am sharing my assignment on my blog so that other can get help too. especially ECE teachers and mothers of Prep classes. Here is the first part which is Pre-reading and reading activities Activity : Word building through phonics drills: what why how level Use letter’s sounds to form a word * to be able to read *can form different words *differentiate among mean

Glimpses Of Iqbal Course میرا اقبال

  Power Point Presentation  Badges for Iqbal's Shaheen Manuals for Participants